2020 brings a fresh start for goals and resolutions.¬† Hive Gold athlete, 7 summiteer, and explorer Kim Hess
has set some big goals over the years.¬† Kim shares tips and tricks on how you can tackle your resolutions and crush your 2020 goals:
Set Yourself Up For Success
- Stay driven, focused, and excited.
- Write them down - I like to write things down in a journal, but my more immediate goals I put on sticky notes and post on my bathroom mirror.¬† I'm also a I‚Äôm a TO-DO list person for my everyday life. I put everything on there from getting my mail, taking out the trash, to writing a proposal or blog. I like to mix easy stuff in with hard stuff because the satisfaction of crossing things off keeps me moving down the list!
- Surround yourself with people who support you! Going at something alone is a lot scarier and harder than going at a goal with a supportive team around you. Like-minded people achieve extraordinary things.¬†
Know Your WHY
The reason WHY is arguably the most important piece of planning anything big. If you don‚Äôt have the ‚Äúwhy,‚Äù then ¬†pushing through setbacks and tough days seem impossible.¬† I use my sticky note trick to keep my goals front of mind and so I can easily refer back to them.
Remembering WHY you started pursuing your dream in the first place helps you get through the lows. I felt like quitting every time I had a miserable freezing cold 2 a.m. alpine start on mountains, when I broke my arm descending Denali, when I survived a 7.8 earthquake at 21,000 ft on Everest, and when a potential sponsor literally laughed in my face and told me NO. Reasons to quit will always be numerous and frequent.¬† When your reason to keep pursuing your ‚Äúwhy‚Äù is clear, you'll keep going, and crush your 2020 goals!¬†
Overcome When You're Feeling Overwhelmed
- Be ready to have moments of feeling overwhelmed when tackling any goal, and know that's OK! The moment will pass, and you'll continue pursuing your goal.¬†
- Have a clearly defined reason for wanting to achieve something. Personally, I have to do it for myself.¬† When I've tried accomplishing things because of other people, I haven't been successful.
- Break your goal down into¬†¬†achievable micro-steps. When I was chasing my dream of climbing the Seven Summits, I had to break it down into seven individual mountains each with their own unique plan. This always included a well defined plan that I mapped out with checklist along the way. Training, funding, new gear purchases, building a routine to stick to (sleep schedule, diet, exercise). Often times these steps involved other people as a way help with accountability.
Persevere Through Challenges, Plateaus, and Frustrations
- Have a good mantra!!! I use mantras all the time to quiet my mind and focus on the task at hand.
Expect the unexpected! This comes down to understanding what you CAN and CANNOT control and being ready to adapt to anything. Take every bump along the way in stride - stay loose, laugh when you can, and keep moving!¬†
- Failure creates progress. Don't get discouraged.¬† Every step towards your goal is a part of the journey and makes you a stronger person.
- Get comfortable being uncomfortable!!!
Go From Good to Great!
Believe in yourself. YOU are the only limiting force in your life - go for it!
Check out some tips on how to set an achievable goal!
Learn more about Kim and her 7 Summits adventures and future goals on her podcast episode of Hive Life.